The Department of General Surgery provides surgical interventions that focus on the endocrine system, gastrointestinal tract, liver, colon, and other major parts of the human body. Some of the common procedures include an appendix, gallbladder removals, colonoscopies, thyroidectomies, hernia, and bariatric surgeries. The department of General Surgery at AIMS provides its patients with the services employing cutting-edge surgical care. The department also specializes in Laparoscopic surgeries (also known as key-hole surgery or minimally invasive surgery). Using such advanced techniques helps in the speedy recovery of the patients with a minimal amount of tissue damage, minimal blood loss, reduced risk of developing infection, and hence, minimal pain and discomfort. The general surgery team has its expertise in providing complete patient safety and satisfaction by using all the latest diagnosing and surgical techniques.
The range of Surgeries performed in the Department are:
- Major Liver Resections for Liver Tumors
- Surgery for Portal Hypertension
- Surgery for Complex Postoperative Biliary Strictures
- Radical Resection for Gallbladder Cancer
- Laparoscopic Biliary Bypass/Triple Bypass for obstructive Jaundice
- Whipple’s Procedure/Pancreaticoduodenectomy
- Distal Pancreatectomy
- Surgery for Chronic Pancreatitis
- Pancreatic Necrosectomy
- Surgery for Endocrine Pancreatic Tumours
Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Anti Reflux Surgery
- Laparoscopic Cardiomyotomy for Achalasia
- Laparoscopic Radical Gastrectomy for Cancer
- Laparoscopic Low Anterior Resection/Abdominoperineal Resection for Cancer
- Laparoscopic Hemicolectomy
- Laparoscopy Assisted Restorative Proctocolectomy with J Pouch for Ulcerative Colitis and FAP
- Laparoscopic Rectopexy
- Ligation of Piles
- Surgeries of Anal Fistulae
- Laparoscopic Splenectomy
- Laparoscopic Groin (Inguinal)/Ventral/Parastomal Hernia Repair
The Laparoscopic Surgery Department is well equipped with all the advanced technology and excellent infrastructure and is supported by a skilled team of surgeons, trained technical staff and nurses. The department specializes in performing a variety of major surgeries involving breast, uterus, skin, soft tissues, abdomen and hernia. Laparoscopic surgery is also known as minimally invasive surgery or key-hole surgery. These surgeries are widely performed in the fields like gastroenterology, gynecology, and urology. Patients receive accurate diagnosis and assessment, latest treatment techniques along with medications, clinical post-operative care and regular follow-ups especially until complete recovery.
The benefits of laparoscopic technique over traditional open surgery include:
- The shorter length of hospital stay and speedy recovery time
- Lesser pain
- Minimal tissue trauma and bleeding after the operation
- Reduced scarring.
The team of surgeons are experts in performing variety of laparoscopic surgeries with great precision and offering quality services and utmost care.